DR Wong Nan Soon
MBBS (Singapore) – M.Med (Singapore) – MRCP (United Kingdom) – FAMS (Medical Oncology) – MHsc (Duke, USA)
Dr Wong Nan Soon is a senior consultant medical oncologist with 15 years of experience in the diagnosis and management of a wide range of cancers.
His subspecialty interests are in the field of breast cancer and gastrointestinal cancers (which include colon cancer, rectal cancer, anal cancer, biliary cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer, GI stromal cancers (GIST) and neuroendocrine cancers.
In addition, he is also well versed in the treatment of a wide variety of cancers which include lung cancers kidney cancers, uterine, cervical and ovarian cancers.
He graduated from the Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore in 1994 and obtained the degrees of Master’s in Internal Medicine and Membership of the Royal College of Physicians of the United Kingdom in 2000.
In 2003, he completed advanced specialty training in general medical oncology.
This was followed by a 1 year clinical fellowship sub-specializing in breast medical oncology in Sunnybrook and Women’s Health Science Centre, Toronto, Canada where he trained under world renowned breast oncologists including Professor Kathleen Pritchard.
He was promoted to the position of consultant in 2006 and subsequently rose to the position of senior consultant and chief of breast team in the department of medical oncology, National Cancer Centre Singapore in 2009.
In 2009, he was awarded the prestigious Singapore National Medical Research Council overseas research fellowship to develop expertise in phase I clinical trials at Duke University, North Carolina, USA. During this year, he broadened his subspecialty interest to encompass gastrointestinal cancers, training under Professor Herbert Hurwitz. He also underwent further training in biostatistics and clinical research methodology, graduating with a master’s degree in health science research.
With this knowledge and experience in novel drug combinations, he is able to offer cutting edge medical treatment for both early stage cancers and also drug resistant difficult to treat advanced cancers.
- Novartis Oncology Young Canadian Investigator Award 2005
- Canadian Association of Medical Oncology Annual Meeting Best Poster Award 2005
- Chairperson, Medical Treatment Fund Committee, Singapore Cancer Society 2007
- Clinical teacher, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore from 2006-2011
- Adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Sciences, Duke-National University of Singapore, 2011-2013
- Visiting Senior Consultant, KK Women’s & Children’s Hospital, Singapore 2010-2011
- Senior Consultant, Dept of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Centre Singapore 2009-2011
- Visiting Consultant, Dept of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Centre Singapore 2012-2014
- Committee member, Specialist Training Committee (Medical oncology), Ministry of Health from 2009 to 2012
- Invited lecturer at Nanyang Polytechnic School of Health Sciences
- Director of Public and Patient Education, National Cancer Centre Singapore 2008-2011
- Deputy Director in the Division of Community Outreach and Philanthropy, National Cancer Centre Singapore
- Vice President, Singapore Society of Oncology 2011-2012
- Board Member, Chapter of Medical Oncologists of Singapore 2009-2012
- Honorary Secretary, Chapter of Medical Oncologists, College of Physicians, Academy of Medicine, Singapore 2007-2008
- Member, Clinical Trials Steering Committee, National Cancer Centre Singapore, 2008-2011
- Member, Singapore Society of Oncology
- Member, American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Member, HepatoPancreatoBiliary Association of Singapore.
- Chairman, Singapore Cancer Network Breast Cancer Workgroup since 2014
- Involvement in more than 30 local and international pharmaceutical and investigator initiated clinical trials
- Awardee of multiple institutional and national level research grants.
- More than 60 abstracts and papers in both local and international oncology journals, including Journal of Clinical Oncology, Clinical Cancer Research and Annals of Oncology.
- Faculty and lecturer at numerous national and international oncology conferences